I want to share a story of dedication and community spirit that centres around the Grade 2 listed chapel in Longton Cemetery. This architectural gem, constructed in 1868 with its unique timber frame and Welsh slate roofs, is an integral part of our local heritage. Unfortunately, it has fallen into a state of disrepair, largely being used as a storage space, and it needs our urgent attention to restore it to its former glory.
The heroes of this story are Ruby and Liz, who have spent the last four years tirelessly working to care for and rejuvenate Longton Cemetery. Despite the council's limited maintenance efforts, they have gone above and beyond to maintain the dignity and beauty of the cemetery. Their remarkable efforts include:
- Clearing the cemetery’s boundaries of waste and trimming dense hedges.
- Advocating for and achieving the repair of dangerous potholes along the cemetery’s road.
- Painting safety barriers and restoring the cemetery's gates and railings with over £7,600 raised through community support.
Now, they face their biggest challenge yet: the chapel restoration. The project aims to repair the woodwork, fix windows, replace missing door parts, and give the entire structure a fresh coat of paint. This includes the necessary costs for scaffolding and labour.
Why Should You Contribute?
- Preserving History: Your support will help save a piece of our shared history.
- Enhancing the Community: The restoration will transform the chapel into a respectful part of the cemetery.
- Strengthening Community Spirit: Your donation is an act of collective care for our environment.
Every penny raised will go towards this noble cause. And, if we exceed our £10,000 goal, additional funds will be used to further enhance the chapel's surroundings.
How Can You Donate?
To support this crucial restoration project, please visit our fundraiser here. Your donation, no matter the size, will make a significant difference.
If you can't donate, don't worry, even just sharing will be a massive help!
Don't let the Longton Cemetery Chapel, a symbol of our community's past, fade into oblivion. Join Ruby, Liz, and fellow community members in this labour of love. Donate today and help us bring the chapel back to life, preserving it for future generations to appreciate and enjoy.
Thank you for your support and for being part of this vital community effort!
Thank you for reading!
If you like what you have read, please feel free to support me by following and signing up for my newsletter and/or buying me a coffee!
If you love our local history, don't forget to follow me, check out more of my videos and my website http://www.theredhairedstokie.co.uk
You can now also join my Patreon - www.patreon.com/TheRedHairedStokie
Check out my recommended reading list